Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving 2010 Everyone

Wow...what a wonderful day!  I made several pies yesterday...coconut cream, banana cream, peanut-butter, pinto bean & yes of course....Pumpkin!

I also decided to make sweet potatoes and yams this year...I was going to do twice baked yams, but I washed and wrapped and  put them in my crock-pot overnight they were done just right, but the skins were too soft...so I tried to broil them a little to dry out the skins...didn't really work...so I just didn't fill the skins back...could have just cut them open and set the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon whip in a bowl and let them all eat them Outback Steakhouse style...but I whipped them up and added the butter whip and topped them with marshmallows...they were delicious...but not ever as delicious as the yummo sweet potatoes...they are my favorite!  What did I learn...just bake the yams and get the hard skins to begin with...but if you don't want the skins...crock pot is the easiest way to go!

I baked rolls and yes, Mr. Turkey this morning as well...Tom really turned out good this year...what I've learned over the years, is just buy the 10-12 lb turkey's if you need more buy two...cuz the smaller ones are much more juicer than the big 25 lb turkey's!  I got a lot of yummy drippings from Tom and made a great gravy as well!
Greg carved Tom up in a way that the juices just flowed!  He also helped me make the sweet potatoes and tended the boys while their mom and dad got ready to go to Escalante this year! I love you so much Greg...thanks for all that you do!

Jeff made a wonderfully delicious ham glazed with brown sugar and cloves...yumo!  Carla made delicious stuffing and mashed potatoes!

Kendal brought green olives stuffed with jalapeno peppers and large black olives...they added to a wonderful dinner!  The peanut butter pie was a request from Kendal...I'm still trying to find a recipe like the one that he ate in Cedar City...I just don't have any idea what it tastes like...I'm allergic to peanut butter so I'm not tasting!

I will make a little more gravy and use my left over pie dough add the turkey and some frozen vegetables and make pot pies with left overs...yumo!

Thought about going for a walk to walk off some of the calories...but it was so darn cold today...we didn't even shoot skeet this year...now that's saying it is too cold!

I really don't think Whit and I will be shopping on Black Friday...OUCH...that's what I think about that day!  Cyber shopping on Monday might bring as good as deals and I don't have to put up with all of those crazy shoppers!

So I guess that you all know about our wonderful Thanksgiving day...I hope you all had a great one yourself and please don't forget, I am most of all Thankful for the blessing that is said before the meal...because it seems all hearts are in tune with the spirit and a gentle feeling of gratitude is born...blessings are said for all in this country...epically those that serve our country and are not with their loved ones at this time a year as we  all sit around and enjoy ourselves.  I hope we can always remember them in our prayers not only at this time of year...but each time we converse with our Heavenly Father!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Today's Quote:
An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day.
~Irv Kupcinet~

No comments: