Friday, November 9, 2012

Cold Days & Warm Hearts


When I woke up this morning, it was quite chilly, so on my way to work, I decided that I wanted to make this day a little warmer day...for me at least! I really thought about Christmas Shopping, but decided to wait a little bit longer! Oops...did I just say Christmas before Thanksgiving! Ha ha! I Love Christmas!

I finished work by noon and headed home...when I got there; I built me a little fire and then set to work on gathering ingredients for my treats that I wanted to cook up! (I Love My Food Storage!)

Greg loves pumpkin cookies...I don't think they’re too bad either...so they would be my first whip up for the afternoon, sure glad too, nothing better than a warm pumpkin cookie with melted chocolate chips to munch on while cooking more yummies!
 
I used these three ingredients to make quick and easy pumpkin cookies and wanted to show you how darn easy they really are...so I added some illustrations.
















Pumpkin Cookies

2 boxes of cake mix (spice or yellow)
1 large can of pumpkin
1 cup chocolate chips
Mix together well
* Add spices to taste like pumpkin pie - allspice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg
Place on baking paper lined cookie sheet and bake @ 375 degrees for 10 - 12 mins.

I was on a roll and decided since I hadn't eaten lunch yet, that I would get dinner started before I sat down to eat a couple of left overs from last night for lunch.

I decided to make Taco Soup. This is so easy it's scary.

















Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1 lg. can tomato juice
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can tomatoes (not drained)
1 can black olives, sliced (I like to cut my olives up with my egg dicer)
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 pkg. ranch dip seasoning (optional)
Grated Cheese
Dorito chips or other salsa chips
You may like to add a little water to thin the soup...this is up to you!

Brown ground beef in large pot then drain, add other ingredients except cheese and chips and simmer.
I like to put mine in my Crock Pot and cook on low for 1-2 hours.
Serve with crumpled chips on bottom of bowl add soup and top with cheese.

So...Carla, my sister brought me this neat cornbread recipe last night...she knows that my family loves cornbread...so I decided to try it...and yep, it was so easy and very yummy!
I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients...but I did shoot the mix after I got it all mixed up.
















Sweet Chili Cheese Cornbread

1 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs (room temperature)
1 4oz can chopped green chilies
1 can cream style corn
1 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

*To quickly bring eggs to room temperature, place them in warm water for about 10 mins before cracking)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy.  Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.  Add green chiles and corn and mix well. 
Add flour, baking powder, corn meal and salt.
Mix well
then add: cheese
Take a spoonfull of flour and toss with grated cheese (this helps prevent the cheese from sticking together in a big lump.) Mix well

Pour mixture into a pam sprayed 9x13 baking pan.  Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake for 50- 60 mins. or until knife inserted in center of pan comes out with no goopy batter on it.  (Why yes, goopy IS an official culinary term.)

So yes, here is the final eats of this chilly rainy day...Greg and I truly enjoyed them and I sure wish that Carla would have been home to try the cornbread...it is yummy...I'll be adding it to some of my favorite recipes.













Well, this wraps up my baking and cooking on this chilly day! I managed to make this day more pleasant and I did indeed manage to warm two hearts... I hope I was able to warm some of your hearts by sharing these recipes with you and may you find them as yummy as much as I do! 

We are now enjoying a cozy warm fire, watching a BYU Men's Basketball Game, while waiting for the JAZZ Basketball Game at 8 p.m. tonight!  Pretty sure Greg will be having a glass of milk and a couple of pumpkin cookies before the night is over...for me...well, I will pop up some popcorn, make up some hot chocolate and really enjoy this chilly November 2012 night!

Good Eats, Warm Hearts and Good Night!

No comments: